Thursday 11 April 2013

Advice | How To Be A Fashion/Beauty Blogger


So you want to be the world's next top fashion and beauty blogger? You have come to the right place! In this article I will be giving you tips and tricks to get your new blog started and on its way to fame!

1. Lets think. Do you really want to do this? Blogging is like taking care of a plant-you need to give it love and attention every single day in order for it to grow tall and blossom! Make sure that you are up for this commitment. If you decide to quit halfway through, you may be letting down loyal fans who have come to love and appreciate your work.

2. Choose your blogging platform. Once you have decided you want to be a fashion and beauty blogger, it's time to choose your blogging site. This website will be the tool that helps you construct your blog! A few examples include Blogger (my personal favourite!), Wordpress, Weebly, and many more. Also, popular platforms may be less likely to have the name you want, so keep this in mind! Doing your research based on your blogging needs is good idea.

3. Think of a name for your blog. This was probably the most challenging part of my entire blogging experience so far, believe it or not! Coming up with an authentic, interesting, and easy to remember blog name is essential. Whether we like it or not, people judge a book my its cover- or in this case, the blog's name- and can either help or hurt you. If you are stuck, create a brainstorming sheet and write down all your hobbies, likes, dislikes, interests, etc. This will help you get inspiration for a name that is unique to you! Also, checking out other blogs' names will help get your creative juices flowing. Creating a name with beauty/fashion related keywords will also help people understand what you're about.

4. Create an E-mail address, Twitter and Facebook page for your blog. This step is essential since your blog will make very little ground without social media advertising. Making an E-mail address with your blog name in it is a good idea once you start making business E-mails, and need to look professional; using your personal email won't look very good (cheekygirl1991@omg.com is not appropriate for business!). Make sure to include your blog name in all of these different social media; if you can, try to get the exact same name in all of them. This will make it a lot easier for people to remember, therefore increasing the probability people will revisit your site again! Remember: Try not to disclose too much information about yourself, like your home address, especially if you are under 18 years old - this is still the internet, and we are never truly safe behind a screen!

5. Design your blog! Once you get all of this stuff in order, you can now sign up on your blogging platform. This is the part where you can really have some fun and let your creativity shine. Depending on which platform you are using, each visual designing process will be different. Looking at other blogs and fashion/beauty websites will really help you out with this step as well. Might as well learn from other success! Keep in mind a few other simple tips: colours like red and yellow naturally make people feel rushed, but colours such as blue, green, and brown make people feel relaxed and at ease. Using the right colours and composition will greatly affect your success.

6. Create and fill your 'About' page. Since your blog is brand new, people want to know who will be filling in all the space! Write a short paragraph or two about who you are, what you love, and what your blog aims to do.

7. Creating your very first post. This part can be pretty nerve wracking! I remember when I made my very first 'welcome' post on my blog, and it took me 2 hours to get it just the way I wanted! I recommend writing a welcome post disclosing what you are planning for your blog and what your readers can expect in the future. Remember to check all of your spelling on every post, and speak clearly so that people can understand you. Depending on the nature of your blog, you may act girly, silly, casual, or strictly professional. Either way, I recommend showing at least a little bit of your personality.

8. Publish your post and get marketing! The main way people can discover your  website is to market your blog through your social networks. Always post every article you publish on all of your sites! Also, this would be a good time to start following and liking with your social media as much as possible. This also will help you get the word out about your blog!

9. Don't get discouraged on days you get a low amount of views. You will have your good and bad days with blogging, so don't worry about it! It is nothing a little elbow grease can't fix.

This is how to start your very first fashion and beauty blog! Getting inspiration from other bloggers is essential in blogging, and finding a role model can really help a newbie out!

I wish all of you the best of luck in your blogging endeavors, and feel free to post any questions or comments below! I will try to help all of you as much as I can. I am also willing to check out your blog if you post, so feel free to do so! If you have a Facebook page, I am also willing to do a like for like!

Luck & Love,
Kaylee

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaylee,
    This advice will definitely come in handy with my blog (www.foreverebekka.co.uk). I set up my blog earlier in the year and then purchased my own domain meaning I lost all my followers which was obviously a tad discouraging. I've been working on my blog to get the layout perfect and pretty so I'd love it if you could take a look and offer me some tips, and hopefully I'll gain a follow if you like it haha! Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely take it on board.

    ReplyDelete