Tuesday 16 April 2013

Beauty | My Journey To Long Hair


Here in our western culture, long hair is sought after and worshiped by us women. The fact of the matter is, most of us have a very hard time trying to get there! If you are anything like me, you have spent years and years of your life chasing after the thought of having long, cascading strands but have never been able get it. In this article, I will be sharing with you the steps I have taken in order to grow my hair. Trust me, for someone whose hair dies faster than it grows, these must work for you!

Step One: Ladies, put the curling irons and straighteners down! I know you hate to hear this, but when I stopped heat-styling my hair it really took off. And I don't mean only styling it 2-3 times a week; I personally only style it at max, 2 times a month! There is a ton of healthy, no-heat hairstyles out there for any texture or length- all you need to do is a little digging. (I have pin straight strands, so I just brush mine through and apply a little oil on a regular day).

Step Two: Stop getting haircuts. Yes, you heard me! Unfortunately the sad truth is, almost all of the long hair you see on your daily walks of life are dead at the ends. Personally if my hair has grown an inch in the past few months, almost exactly an inch of it will be dry. After i stopped getting a haircut every three months, my hair got a lot longer. The idea is to take extra care of your hair in order to prevent it from dying, as you'll see in the next few tips.

Step Three: Be conscious and careful with your locks. Once I started becoming aware of my hair, I was a lot more gentle with it and it died much slower. To give you a few examples, I am always gentle when wearing an over-the-shoulder purse, I am never too rough when putting it up in a bun, and I am always very careful when it comes to brushing it when it's wet. This will prevent the fragile ends of your hair from breaking off, preserving your length.

Step Four: Pamper your strands. This means giving it serious moisture treatments! If you can't afford to get to the spa and have it professionally done, you can always use completely natural DIY recipes in order to amp up the moisture. For example, a quick hair mask recipe I have tried in the past was the Avocado Hair Mask: this consists of 1 Avocado, 1 egg yolk, and 2 tbsp mayonnaise. Just mash up the avocado and mix in the rest of the ingredients, and then leave it in your hair for 15 minutes.

Step Five: Beware the elements. I do not like to have my hair exposed in harsh elements such as bitter cold winter weather, scalding hot water in the shower, as well as chlorinated or salted pool water. This really does help the health of your hair, but it can be a win/lose situation most of the time. I usually do these things half the time, like swimming in pools or having hot showers, and then sacrifice the other half of the time. It is a nice balance for my lifestyle!

These are my tips for long hair growth! Of course eating right and doing all of that other stuff is great too, but these are the tips that have worked for me in my journey to long hair. Of course, i still want my hair a bit longer- just a few inches- but at the moment i am very happy with my progress!

Please feel free to share your own tips down below. I hope this was interesting to everyone who read, and good luck on your long hair quest!

Luck & Love,
Kaylee Slater

No comments:

Post a Comment