Monday 30 September 2013

How To Treat And Fix Bumps On The Backs Of Your Arms (Keratosis Pilaris)


Ever wondered why there are little red and white bumps along the backs of your arms? Even have them on your legs, too? As you might have guessed, these are not pimples or acne. I myself have the same problem, which is commonly known as Keratosis Pilaris. As scary as that sounds, don't fret; KP is a very common condition, and affects approximately 50%-80% of the adolecent population and about 40%-50% of the adult population. Phew! This condition is identified by small, rough, slightly-red bumps on the skin. This is caused by an overproduction of keratin, a protein in your body, where it gets trapped in the hair follicles and solidifies.

Now that we know what KP is and that we are not alone, how do we get rid of it!?

As you may have discovered already, mechanical exfoliation and picking at the bumps is not going to get rid of them. Some websites recommend the use of keratolytic treatments such as urea, lactic acid, salicylic acid, or topical retinoids. Others believe that certain cosmetic products such as KP Duty from Dermadoctor, retailing for $38.00 Canadian at Sephora, has cleared up their skin condition. However, I would only invest in this product if you have some extra cash to experiment with- I have heard mixed reviews about it's success, and may be a gamble simply depending upon on who you are! Lastly, there is one product that is highly recommended in the KP community; good, plain, old-fashioned coconut oil.


Uhm, what?



That's right! While I was researching about treatments, the use of coconut oil was widely regarded as the best treatment for KP. I went to the supermarket a few months ago and picked up a jar to see for myself what it would do (a large jar of coconut oil usually retails between 8-15 dollars Canadian). After about a week or two of applying the oil to my arms twice daily, I noticed that it cleared up about 60-70% of my KP. A miracle! I am also plagued with a rare case of the KP itchies, especially in the winter, and the oil took that away almost instantly. The remaining bumps and redness however did not go, but I've lived with it so long, having only a few little bumps is perfectly fine with me.



Depending upon who you are, any of the treatments mentioned above may work for you- but maybe not. Take this into consideration regarding your budget and patience. If you have any other suggestions, please leave them below. Thanks!



Luck & Love,

Kaylee Slater

Photo source: keratosistreatments.com

No comments:

Post a Comment